The bathroom is probably the most used part of the house. A well maintained and functioning bathroom is therefore mandatory. If your bathroom has leaking taps and flush, or the outdated sanitary wares give a shabby look, maybe it’s time to renovate. So how much does it cost to remodel your bathroom?
For the purpose of cost estimation, we classify bathrooms into –
- Master bathroom
- Powder room or guest bathroom
Master bathroom is a plush size bathroom attached to the master bedroom and is therefore for the personal use of the occupant of the room.
Needless to say, they come with amenities such as bathing tub and shower in a separate bathing space, sink and could be further beautified as per the liking of the occupant with lighting, countertops, and cabinets.
Powder room or guest bathroom as the name suggests are for general or common use, they are of a smaller area and enclose a toilet and sink. They may or may not have a shower but other elaborate amenities are surely missing.
Based on what category the bathroom falls under, the remodeling cost can be better estimated. For the purpose of prudence, we will briefly discuss both the models in order that you get a rough idea regarding how much it costs to remodel your bathroom.
While there are some common factors that can raise the cost for both categories of the bathroom such as the floor area. However, for a master bathroom, this can have additional expenditure involved due to the more utilities and labor used.
Beginning with the cost of hiring a contractor or an interior designer, the contractor may come up with an estimate depending upon your requirement, but if you are looking at adding some style and panache to your bathroom, then a designer is highly recommended, this could cost around US $3000, but nevertheless, it’s worthy.
How Much Does It Cost To Remodel Your Bathroom?
- Commode- It is the most important and integral part of the bathroom. They come in different standard sizes (12’’ being common) and height (15’’, and 17’’). Costs for toilets start at $100 and can go as high as $1,000 for some higher-end designs.
- Sink- They come in different models such as pedestal, wall hung etc. the costs range from $60 to $500 depending upon the model. Sink legs and under-mount may cost higher.
- Bathtub- The cost may depend upon the size, but the most common alcove bathtub with shower attached comes for around US $150, you can choose based on the inputs from your designer and as per your liking. If it is a standalone soaking tub than the cost could go up from US $ 800.
- Shower- Showers come in different options, the common ones are those installed with alcove tub which is around US $130 or more, the valves involved could also affect the cost, pressure balance valves with alcove shower are priced lower, but if you are looking for a thermostatic valve with stand-alone shower or a hand shower, the cost could be not less than US $1200.
- Tiles- These are equally important to your bathtub as they can single-handedly define the look and feel of the bathroom. What we mean here is, tiles can help you get the look if you are looking for such as retro, Victorian or a spa.
- Tiles also determine the brightness of the bathroom, you can choose your tiles accordingly and they may cost you starting from US $1-$100 per sq.ft depending upon the material such as ceramic, porcelain or natural stone.
- Countertops- Countertops come in many options of material and color, and you could match them with the tiles you opt. countertops cost from US $4/sq.ft in case of natural stone it may cost US $80 onwards per square feet.
- Storage- Towel towers, cabinets or under-sink storage may cost within the range of $25 upwards, towel towers carry the weightage here for being the costliest among this list at US $1000 and above.
- Lighting- Light and illumination play a very important part in setting up the mood. The way the lighting is arranged with range of colors, the style of fixtures used, it all goes without any further elaboration.
For relaxing and rejuvenating yourself after a hectic day, a glass of red wine in a warm tub and the voice of Frank Sinatra in the background is a treat.
For shower light and sconces including some additional lighting may cost around $400, you can even go for more cost-saving options too, which will reduce this estimate even further.
The labor cost
Now coming to the trickiest area, the labor cost. Yes, the cost of labor is not your headache if you have signed a complete contract with an engineer, however, if the labor cost is your lookout or in case you want to have a general idea, here it is:
- Plumber- Depending upon the work and his own expertise he may charge between $50-$200/hour.
- Electrician- Electrician is an important member of the team after the plumber and he may charge you between $45-$80 /hour.
- Tile fitter- He comes as good as his skill and may charge $8-$15/sq.ft.
Keep in mind that these are the primary workers involve in bathroom remodeling, as said earlier, depending upon the design you opting, if it is more lavish than be prepared to spend more on carpenters, enhancements such as LED, Bluetooth devices and other customized products you install.
Since we have already covered the most useful and necessary bathroom materials under the master bathroom, we can directly go in for a quick estimation of guest bathrooms based on inputs from above.
For the guest bathroom, the important and most often the only sanitary wares are the commode and sink, taken together they may cost around $200- $400 combine.
Since the size and overall build of this bathroom are small and simple, it negates the use of other items such as vanity cabinets. Simple storage and holders are just fine.
For tiles, illumination and labor cost you could refer the above estimates.
Some points to note before we conclude, it is always advised to seek at least two or three different estimates from contractors and material suppliers, so that you are sure that you get the best deal. Sign an accurate and detailed contract which includes the labor charges.
And last but not least, the remodeling may take time, so now that you have an idea how much does it cost to remodel your bathroom, keep patience as the work progresses.